Demonising Justin Gatlin
13th September 2015
• Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal (TNA) has provisionally suspended boxer Marika Caccavale after she returned an adverse analytical finding (AAF) for furosemide. Caccavale tested positive at the Campionati Assoluti Elite Maschili e Femminili 2017 on 7 December, read a statement from Italy’s national anti-doping agency (NADO Italia).
• Austrian prosecutors are investigating the country’s football association (ÖFB) over a US$100,000 payment made by FIFA to support young footballers in Africa, reports Agence France Presse (AFP). It is understood that the payment was made to ÖFB President Leo Windtner in 2015, shortly after he gave an interview announcing his support for former FIFA President, Joseph S. Blatter. Windtner argues that the money was mistakenly transferred to the ÖFB by FIFA, reports AFP.
• Former Hong Kong footballer of the year, Lee Wai-lim, has pleaded guilty to charges of match-fixing, reports The Standard. It is understood that Lee and four former players of Hong Kong Pegasus Football Club – Kwok Kin-pong, Michael Cheng Lai-hin, Chan Pak-hang and Lee Ka-ho – face a total of seven charges. It is alleged that they offered or accepted bribes of HK$60,000 (€6,400) to fix games in the Hong Kong Football Association’s Reserve Division League during 2016.
• A 47 year old businesswoman has been detained by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission in connection to allegations that she attempted to fix an amateur football match, reports the New Straits Times. The newspaper reports that it is alleged that the woman, who funds an amateur football club, paid an opposing team to ensure a win in a People’s Football League (LBR) match last year.
• The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has appointed James Fitzgerald as its new Senior Manager, Media Relations and Communications. Fitzgerald was most recently Manager of Media and Communications for World Rugby.
• The Serbian boxing federation (SBF) has sanctioned Sašu Polugića with an 18 month ban,...
An agreement between Berlinger Group and the Arne Ljungqvist Anti-Doping Foundation will see any profit...
• The Disciplinary Chamber of the Swiss Olympic Committee has sanctioned a 24 year old...